How to download Form 16 ?
How to download Form 16 ?
This is a common need of all tax payers in India. Sometimes you need your old form 16 for various documentation issues. However most employers provide it to their employees but you can also download it your self.
Just follow the steps provided below and download Form 16 of previous financial years.
Step 1 : Open Traces Website - www.tdscpc.gov.in
Step 2 : Open "Register as New User" link.
Step 3: Register as a Tax Payer.
Step 4: It will as for your PAN details and TAN number. You will also need to enter amount of tax paid in past year and its month and year.
Step 5: In next step it will ask for your contact details like address, phone and Email.
Step 6: Once you are successfully registered, you can go to the Downloads menu anddownload Form 16.
Download FORM NO.16 - Income Tax Departmenthttp://law.incometaxindia.gov.in/DITTaxmann/IncomeTaxRules/pdf/itr62Form16.pdf
About Form 16
Form 16 is a certificate or a document that is issued to salaried personnel in India by their respective employers. The certificate carries necessary details that assist in the process of filing Tax Returns with the Income Tax Department of India.
Form 16 is a document that is used by salaried personnel as part of the process of filing Income Tax Returns in India. The Income Tax Act of 1961 and the Income Tax Rules of 1962 are the governing laws of the Income Tax Department of India. The Form 16 is an important document that is in accordance with the rules and regulations laid down by the Income Tax Department as well as the Government of India.
The Form 16 is provided by an Employer to the Employee and is used by the employee as reference as well as proof while filing Income Tax Returns. The Form furnishes various details such as Salary Income components of the Employee, Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) by the Employer, and Tax paid by the Employer to the Income Tax Department.
The following features make Form 16 an important part of the entire process of filing Income Tax Returns in India. The Form is especially important to Employees working in a company or firm.
- It is applicable to Salaried personnel
- It is a Tax Deduction at Source (TDS) Certificate issued by the Employer
- It acts as proof that the Employer has deducted TDS while paying the Employee
- It is proof of the Salary that the Employee receives
- It reflects the amount of Income Tax paid by the Employer on behalf of the Employee
- It can be used by the Employee as proof of his Income if the Income Tax Department wishes to scrutinize the Income Tax Returns in detail
- Only an Employer with a TAN (Tax Deduction Account Number) is eligible to deduct TDS, and therefore issue a Form 16
- If TDS is not deducted the Employer is not under obligation to issue a Form 16 to the Employee
- If TDS is deducted, the responsibility to issue the Form 16 to the Employee lies with the Employer
- Information given on a Form 16 can be corrected.
Following are few key components that are found in a Form 16:
- Personal details of the Employee including Name, Permanent Account Number (PAN) etc.
- Employer details including Name, permanent account number PAN, TAN etc.
- Acknowledgement Number of the Income Tax Payment made by the Employer
- Details of Salary including Gross Salary, Net Salary, Perquisites, Deductions etc.
- Total Income and Total Tax deducted
- Details of Education Cess or Surcharge etc.
- Tax deducted as per Section 192 (1A)
- Receipt Number of the TDS Payment
- Balance Tax Payable by the Employee or Refundable to the Employee
- Details of Tax Payment including Cheque Number, DD Number, Voucher Number, Challan Number etc.
- Declaration of Tax Payment by the Employer
- Of the Employer related to Form 16 
Form 16 is an important document and Employers are especially required to ensure that every rule related to it is followed meticulously. This is not only in the interest of the Employer and Employee but is also required by law under the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- The signing authority on the Form 16 should be a responsible person of the Company or Firm
- The Salary, Deductions, and other financial details should be calculated carefully
- In case of errors, rectifications should be made and a fresh Form 16 issued
- The Tax deducted from Employees should be paid to the Government in time
- The PAN and TAN details should be filled in correctly
- The Receipt, Voucher or Challan Number of the Tax paid to the Government should be filled in correctly
- Employees should be issued the duly completed Form 16 well in time to file their Tax Returns with the Income Tax Department
- Of the Employee related to Form 16
Though the onus of providing the Form 16 document lies with the Employer, the Employee too, is required to fulfill certain conditions.
- Collecting the Form 16 from the Employer well in time to file Income Tax Returns with the Income Tax Department
- Checking if the details related to Name, PAN etc. are entered correctly
- Checking details related to Salary, Deductions, Education Cess etc.
- Checking Deductions under 80C, 80CCC, and 80CCD
- In case of discrepancies bringing them to the notice of the Employer and getting them corrected
- Keeping the Form 16 safely as proof for the details filled in while filing Income Tax Returns
How to Download Form 16 ?
Previous Year Form 16
Previous Years Form 16
Previous Year's Form 16
Form 16 Online
Form 16 Download
Form 16 NSDL
Form 16 Traces