If the dog’s owner is present then share names and contact numbers so you can get proof of rabies vaccination from them. Gently clean the bite wound with antibacterial soap and water as soon as possible and seek medical attention as soon as possible. Either your regular doctor if the wound is mild or the emergency room if the bite wound is severe. Use common sense to determine the severity of the wound, if in doubt just head to the ER.
- injury to underlying tissues such as muscle, nerve, and bone;
- and infection.
- Is the dog available to be observed?
- Was the bite provoked or defensive rather than an unprovoked attack?
- Where is the bite located?
- What is the past medical history of the victim?